This Is Me Trying

'This Is Me Trying' is - in my opinion - one of the most relatable songs in the Folklore album. I really relate to what she is trying to tell her fans. It’s a song about vulnerability and insecurity. I feel like she wants everyone to know that everyone – including a famous singer like her – has insecurities. She wants us to acknowledge them.

“I’ve been having a hard time adjusting

I had the shiniest wheels, now they’re rusting”

These show that people need time to adjust in a new situation or adjust to changes in life. I think the imagery with the wheels shows that even though a person was once at the top of their game, she can take some time to recover – without this being viewed as a fall from grace.

“Pulled the car off the road to the lookout

could’ve followed my fears all the way down”

These lines tell us that it’s easy to give up. We all would have faced a time when we knew it would all be so much easier if we just gave up. But, it’s worth it to keep trying.

“They told me all of my cages were mental

So I got wasted like all my potential”

These mental cages refer to psychological problems. The wasted potential tells us that if we weren’t affected psychologically, we would have been able to achieve so much more.

The chorus is very important here. When Taylor keeps telling us that she is still trying, she wants us to try as well. She doesn’t want any of us to give up. (Believe it or not, Taylor does really care about her fans.)

Everyone, listen to Taylor please. Do not give up! No matter how hard it seems, it will get better.

 

Comments

  1. Interesting to know more about the singer's connection to her fans! Really nice 👏👏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Why does a girl need a brother, or at least a brother figure in her life?