My Greek Odyssey



I was inspired to write this blog entry by one of my friends who recently published an entry about how she got into Greek mythology through The Song of Achilles. She wrote how most people would assume that Percy Jackson was everyone's entry into the mystical world. I realized that I was one of those people. I am someone who entered Greek Mythology through Rick Riordan. I started reading Percy Jackson at 12 and now I own the Percy Jackson series, the Heroes of Olympus, the Trials of Apollo, and a couple of companion novels as well. Yes, a whopping 18 books in total, proudly stacked up in my personal 'library'. 
Most Greek myths are hard to follow and understand. Rick Riordan however manages to simplify things without changing what the story is actually trying to tell us. In his first five books, he speaks from the unique perspective of a demigod boy, which adds an element of humour to otherwise boring tales of myths and monsters and gods, and whatever else is featured in Greek mythology. Rick goes on to narrate the stories of the Olympian gods and some of the best heroes from the same perspective. His books are both informative and entertaining.  
I was first introduced to Percy Jackson through my cousin and I'm really thankful for him for giving me that first taste. 
PS - Where can I find a copy of the Song of Achilles? 

Comments

  1. I personally got into Greek Mythology through a game franchise called "God Of War". I can proudly admit that I grew up with the protagonist of the game named Kratos who became a calm and mindful stoic, teaching his only legacy which is his son, Atreus, to be a better God than he could ever be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Why does a girl need a brother, or at least a brother figure in her life?