Why Riordan?

For my college project, the author I chose to study is Rick Riordan. (You probably guessed that from my posts.)

Today, I was asked why I chose this author. Riordan was someone my brother gave me. When I came to India for a vacation, I wanted something to read when I was at his house. He gave me The Son of Neptune. I was around eight years old, and I tried to read the book. I couldn’t get past the first few chapters, and it made no sense to me. I tried it again a few days later and had the same result. I put the book away, and for the next two years, I claimed I didn’t like Percy Jackson. That’s a strange thing to think for someone who’s now writing multiple assignments on this author.

A couple of years later, my brother handed me another book. This was The Lightning Thief. I told him that I didn’t really get Riordan and wasn’t interested in reading. He told me to try it again, and because I respected my brother, I did as I was told. I picked it up, settled into the couch, and haven’t put Riordan down since.

Another connected observation I made was that Percy, and even Harry Potter, are kind of outsiders trying to fit in. Being an Indian kid in a school in Connecticut, USA made me feel kind of similar. I could relate to these kids - these characters I was reading about. I think this is why these books are ones I can’t seem to put down. No matter where I stray, whether it’s to dark romance or dystopian books, I come back to Harry and Percy.

These books and characters shape the kind of things I want to create. I find myself unconsciously imitating Percy’s humor and making characters that feel like ones you might find in Harry Potter. I write worlds with magic and adventure and strong character bonds because those are the ones I grew up with and love. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Types of People at LeTourneau

A Tribute to My Seniors

Athenavate