Simple Pleasures

A few days ago, I got to visit home. So, for some context, I just moved for my master’s and got to spend a few hours at home on my way somewhere else.

There’s just something about your home city that feels like a warm hug. When I got off the train at Chennai, the evening warmth enveloped me. There was peace in the knowledge that the people here would understand the language I spoke without any difficulty. There was comfort in the fact that I was safe because I knew my way around and didn’t need to ask for directions. Even the smell – though it was sour – was welcoming.

There was familiarity in the wind blowing in my hair and the dust settling on my face. I knew all the stores lining the way home and the bumps on the road.

I found pleasure in being picked up and driven home by someone I trusted, when I didn’t have to make sure someone was watching my location and keeping an eye on me. I was at peace when I got to drink water from home, ’cause the taste of water at home just hits different. I was beyond happy to be able to take a calm hot shower, without worrying about who was waiting to shower next.

After it all, I got to sleep in my own bed with my two pillows, even if it was just for 4 hours.

Living in a dorm has really showed me that the things I once took for granted are not simple pleasures that I don’t always get to experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to My Seniors

Types of People at LeTourneau

A Guide to Research Presentations