Writing in Different Spaces

My first class today was about how perspectives shape how one writes. The activity we had was to write about the room we were in - our classroom - and our morning before we got there. Here's what I wrote. 

"I woke up this morning to the sound of one of my favorite things ever - Taylor Swift. So, for some context, I'm a huge Swiftie and Taylor's music is my alarm. I think that's the best way I could start my day. I hopped into the bathroom for a nice hot shower. I know, some people say hot water makes them sleepy, but to me, it's rejuvenating. I was excited to get to dress in formals today, because I usually don't do that. 

I realized after I got ready that I still had plenty of time before class. I decided to watch an episode of 'My Life With the Walter Boys' season 3. After that was breakfast. The highlight there was the vada. It was really crispy, just like the kind my dad and I like. Through breakfast, I was anticipating and looking forward to our first class. 

Here's what the classroom looks like. There are only 6 of us - a smaller crowd than I've ever seen. The walls are white and the desks are brown. There's a whiteboard and a trashcan. Waterbottles are lined up on the desks. Nothing new there. What makes us different is that we're here, writing with pen and paper rather than typing on a laptop or taking notes on our phones. We can hear the sound of pens scratching against paper and see words spilling out. We actually like to write, which is something people don't really like to do. 

Our class might be too small for the big room, but we are going to fill it to the brim with our big ideas." 

After this activity, we were asked to get up and open the curtains and windows in the room. We took seats in the back of the classroom, near the big windows. Our professor told us to write about the room again. He said that changing our perspective or the space we write in would produce different results. Our inspiration and feelings that we write about becomes different as we sit in different spaces. Space is also a mechanic of writing. Being immersed in the space we are writing in helps us be better writers. Here's what I wrote second. 

"It's the same room with the same people, but it doesn't quite feel the same. The door was jut open, bringing in chatter. There's excitement in the air now that we've mvoed away from our desks with our books in our laps and one leg crossed over the other. The room is warm with the windows open and curtains drawn. It feels like Chennai's winter. WHen I look out at the bright blue sky and the white clouds that remind me of one of my favorite places to hang out, I can almost forget what city I'm in. I might even be back home. 

The golden rays of sun are like hope and energy seeping in. Their warmth is comforting and makes me smile wide. They turn the drab brown tables bright orange. My ID card matches my pencil, a charmin coincidence visible in the newfound brightness. Suddenly, a cool breeze enters, raising goosebumps on my back and ruffling my ha. This reminds me that I'm not in Chennai anymore because a Chennai breeze would never be this cool. 

But, the room is still warm and the sun's glow is comforting, like a warm hug."

So... this is very different from how I looked at the room earlier. I thought it was really interesting how the place I wrote from changed my content. Sure, it's still me who wrote it. The words are mine. The style is mine. But what I saw and wrote is different. I loved this excercise and I'm really looking forward to what I'm going to get to do tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Types of People at LeTourneau

A Tribute to My Seniors

A Guide to Research Presentations