Music
A couple of days ago, there was a flash mob in college. It was apparently to promote the college’s Onam celebration. Here’s the thing, though… I had a really bad headache, and the music was very loud, and the ground almost vibrated under my feet. It didn’t help matters. I was trying to stay as far away from it as I could, but it was right near the dining hall, which meant I had to go there anyway.
I was also exhausted from all the assignments and things I’d been up to all day. As I went towards the dining hall, I could finally hear what the music was. They were dancing to the Tamil songs I hadn’t heard in so long. In that moment, it was both rejuvenating and heartbreaking. It made me feel like I was home, and like I had never been farther away at the same time. Sure, I ended up smiling and vibing to the music, but the effect it had on me lasted.
Music is really powerful. Another example I have to prove it is my morning alarm. I wake up every day to a Taylor Swift song. I feel like it’s the single best way to start my day. Listening to a song - or songs - you really like in the morning can help you wake up happy and energized so you’re ready for your day.
Music can also cheer you up. You know how people say memory is associated with scent? I also think memory is associated with sound. It’s happened to me before. I might have been listening to a particular song when something really good or really bad happened. Whenever I listen to it now, I'm taken back to that moment. I love being on stage and walking the ramp. When I listen to the kind of music I walk the ramp to, my body goes into model mode, and I start walking like I am on the ramp and I see heads turning to see me. The same way, if there was a song playing when I was crying, it would make me cry when I hear it again.
Now, while I was writing this post, I was listening to some of my favorite songs. I ended up turning off my laptop and dancing. I loved how energetic it made me feel. I love how music can make or break my mood. It’s powerful, and I’m willing to let it have that power over me.
Comments
Post a Comment