Context and Consumption
This is the title of a super cool workshop I attended yesterday.
The workshop talked about the context in which you write and the media you consume that feeds your writing. This is something that I actually had thought about before as well, but this is the first time I really dove deep into it. We were given worksheets about the two topics and were asked to answer a series of questions that helped us find out our context and identify how our consumption influenced our writing.
An important question we were asked was "Who are you as a writer?" Our professor wanted to know how our context and where we come from shape us as writers. When I was asked questions, some of my answers were based on the library I grew up in, back in the US. My consumption was rooted in mythology and the supernatural.
Now... my professor was talking about the fact that we write what we read. (Something similar to that). I found that to be very true. Like... I write books rooted in Norse mythology because that's what I'm good at. I am a pro at mythology, so it comes easy to me. I write supernatural because that's what I watch. The shows I watch usually have some supernatural element in them.
You might be wondering why I'm talking about this now. But the thing is... I really love the professors here. Already. Even though I just met them a few days ago. They seem so so interested in what they teach and their enthusiasm is contagious. I am looking forward to my class tomorrow, and am eager to see what I'll get to write about on my blog tomorrow too.
Comments
Post a Comment