Connection between studying and consumption
In today's class, my professor was talking about how we usually don't study things related to what we consume regularly. Let's look at an example.
An English literature student is asked to read classics like Bronte, Shakespeare, and other things like that. However, do they really like those authors? I'm sure there are a few who do, but for the most part, a student would prefer something more modern or something of a different genre. Now, I'm not saying there aren't people who genuinely enjoy the classics, because I know there are. But the question is... why are we studying something that doesn't really match what we consume on a daily basis?
There are a few reasons that might be. The classics help us understand how life was in different ages of literature. It would help us bring depth to our writing. It would help us gain an understanding of the world before us. I'm sure there are a lot more points.
But here, my point is that reading classics or other prescribed texts sometimes might not be productive. Everyone has different things they are interested in. The more they read about what they like, the more mastery they will gain over that thing.
I don't mean anything by this, but it was just intriguing. I have an assignment where I get to deep dive into any author of my choosing - irrespective of genre. That made me want to reflect on this.
My classes are really interesting here and get me thinking, and they make me want to write more.
Comments
Post a Comment