Anything Can Become A Poem
So, as you probably know,
I’m a creative writing student. What this means is that I learn about how to
write specific styles and genres, and specifically explore things I haven’t
explored much before.
Today’s class was about
writing poetry, following a specific meter and rhythm. That kinda means that
all the lines in the poem have to sound the same. When I heard about that, I was
pretty apprehensive. I’d written poetry before, but it just flowed out of me. It
didn’t have a particular style or beat to it. They were just words that made me
feel something. I don’t consider myself a poet, but I like writing this kind of
poetry.
So, back to the topic, to
ease us into this activity, my professor first wrote up the rhythm he wanted us
to follow. Then, he asked us to say random words that might fit into it. He didn’t
give us a theme or topic. There were no other restrictions, other than the
rhythm. As a class, we called out random words, seeing if they made sense when
they were put together. It did take us a few tries. Sometimes, we had something
really great to say, but the words we wanted to use didn’t fit into the poem’s meter.
In time, we managed to
compose a stanza together. We started out with random words, but we ended up
writing about green vines, trying to reach up towards the sky despite the fact
that they were aching beneath grey hopes. We decided that this was a poem about
a person’s life and how they had to push on despite their struggles, in order
to break free from constraints.
The point of this exercise
was to teach us that poetry can come from anywhere. We don’t need a theme to start
writing. We can write about absolutely anything, and in time, your random
collection of words will end up becoming a poem that says something about the
way you understand the world, or pretty much anything else. You don’t need to
be a poet to write a meaningful poem. Go give it a try and maybe post your poem
in the comments!
Comments
Post a Comment