D-Y-I-N-G

Before I start talking about this... I just have to give you the bridge of this masterpiece (How Did It End).

Say it once again with feeling
How the death rattle breathing
Silenced as the soul was leaving
The deflation of our dreaming
Leaving me bereft and reeling
My beloved ghost and me
Sitting in a tree
D-Y-I-N-G

These lyrics are just so poetic and formal, yet they don't feel right for what Taylor is trying to convey. They look like something that she would want to present publicly - like a speech or report. Even though these lyrics are filled with emotion, as always, they aren't in her usual demeanor. I love how the song sounds like a ballad to her lover while it's also an elegy to what she lost. 

The lyrics barely make sense, but the part I love the most is "D-Y-I-N-G." It's like she's trying to draw attention to the fact that she's dying inside. (Here comes my own perspective now). This song was written after her break-up with Joe Alwyn. Here, she's talking about how she can't breathe. She's left all alone. The ghost referred to in the lines is Joe. 

Another thing I thought of is how there is a rhyme that goes 'K-I-S-S-I-N-G' when two people are in love. This is in stark contrast to that rhyme when Taylor's love is dying. It's so ironic. It's a literal farewell to the relationship, with the death rattle breathing. 

Oh... this is just too beautiful to express. I hope I did it justice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."