Second-Person Perspective

I've recently started a new writing project that's going to be written completely in second-person perspective. I wanted to talk about what this means. 

So, everyone knows that there are three writing perspectives. We are familiar with two of them; the first-person and third-person narrative. Let's take a moment to recall what they are. In the third-person narrative, there is someone outside the story who is taking us through it. In the first-person narrative, the storyteller is the speaker. 

The second-person narrative is very rare (or so I have heard). This type of writing addresses the reader, making them the protagonist. It puts the reader in the middle of the action. I have always loved reading books from the first-person perspective. I thought it felt like a very personal experience that put me on the spot. 

However, when I read my own second-person writing, I felt like it was even better. My writing is fantasy. I was thinking of the effect it would have if the story was a mystery or horror. The reader would feel everything the character feels. He or she would be dropped into the thick of things. It would bring the reader closer to what he or she is reading. 

I think there is a lot of scope for this kind of writing, especially since it's rare. If anyone is thinking of trying it out, remember that it is hard. You have to be very cautious of the tense and the way you address the characters. The words you use to express emotion have to be apt. 


Comments

  1. This style of writing sure seems unique and complex. I would love to try books written in this kind of narrative. Can't wait to read yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."