Hold On

'Hold On' by Chord Overstreet is a song commonly associated with The Vampire Diaries. It plays during the season finale when the characters say their final goodbyes to Stefan Salvatore. This is what the song is best known for in the series. The lyrics are as follows

"Can you hear me screaming 'Please don't leave me?'
Hold on I still want you
Come back, I still need you"

Stefan is undoubtedly one of the most important characters in the series. He has touched the lives of everyone. This song is an elegy to Stefan that the other characters deliver. They are all telling him that they need him. They just wish he could come back to life. 

I, however, think the song could fit into another scene as well. The scene where Elena and Damon have their big argument in season 5. The lyrics go

"Loving and fighting
Accusing, denying
I can't imagine a world with you gone"

Here, Elena and Damon are having a huge fight. They both feel like their relationship is codependent. They feel like it's toxic that they can't survive without each other. Elena says that she has to change who she is - change her ideals - for Damon. Damon says that he has been trying to change who he is for Elena. They both know that that's not good. But, in the end, even after their fight, they end up in bed. That's when they realize that they can't fight what they feel for each other. 

Again, this is just something that occurred to me when I was listening to the song. I'm not saying anything in the show needs to change. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."