who's afraid of little old me

This is the title of a song from The Tortured Poets Department. To me, it feels like the singer is telling us that people have a habit of underestimating her. 

I'm sure a lot of people feel like their abilities are often underestimated. People don't realize what you are capable of until you prove it. It's not enough to just say something. You have to show the world that you can do it. That's the only way you will earn their respect. 

Here, the narrator is a monster or witch descending on a town who has shamed her. This town doesn't fear or respect her. She is trying to change that. She wants to show them just what she is capable of and terrorizes the town. 

"So I leap from the gallows and I levitate down your street. Crash the party like a record scratch as I scream..." 

The picture this creates in my mind is one of a devilish figure. She is all ready to be executed when she breaks her bonds and jumps onto the street. There's a party, where people are celebrating her capture. She breaks through the door and enters the room, cocks her head, and grins at the crowd, evil shining in her eyes. She is determined to wreak havoc upon those who wronged her. 

The message that the song is giving us is that everyone is powerful and dangerous in their own way. We shouldn't think otherwise, it might have disastrous consequences.

Comments

  1. I really wonder what the story of the narrator might be. What pushed her to be seen as a villain among those people. I can relate to villains a lot because I'm seen as a villain in my life as well. And it's so good to hear what the villain's motives are. Remember: Villains are just unspoken heroes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."