Turning off Your Emotions

Why do people assume that things can only get done if you do them without any emotion? I mean, doesn't having emotions make you better suited to make decisions. You can make good decisions if you feel passion for what you do. Isn't passion an emotion? 

On the other hand, sometimes I have wondered whether it would be more convenient to turn them off. I have to admit that they get in the way sometimes. Also, emotions hurt. They can make you lose your mind and lose your cool. They might lead to divides in relationships - any kind of relationship. You might feel like you are being too clingy or that your affection isn't reciprocated. Without emotions, you can simply focus on your goals. You can drive all of your determination into what you have to achieve. But, again, what's the point in accomplishing anything if you can't be happy about it. 

Losing your emotions can also protect you. It can protect you from getting hurt. It can help you make reasonable decisions. (I don't have a lot to say here because I don't think people should turn off their emotions, even though I am heading in that direction myself.)

I understand that I have been talking about two opposing arguments here. (I'll let you know when I pick a side.) But, the thing is, it's hard to pick a side. I admit that I still don't know if emotions are worth it. Positive emotions lead to getting yourself hurt. Negative emotions send you spiraling. There are some times when you can't be emotional, but what if those times occur so frequently that you forget that you are a human being capable of feeling emotions. You have to realize that you have every right to feel emotion. Yes, people will tell you otherwise. They will try to cut off your emotions. But, you can't lose them. Your emotions are what make you you. 

(I wish I could hammer that into my head. I hope it helps someone though.)

Comments

  1. Trying to cut off emotions so you are more focused on your goals is the thinking of a fanatic. I'd suggest for you to be more in touch with your emotions because losing your emotions is equivalent of losing yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."