All Too Well

There are a few lyrics in the song 'All Too Well Ten Minute Version' that stood out to me. The first one was "And you call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest." 

The second one is "You kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath."

These are lyrics that touch my heart in one way or another every time I listen to them. The second one especially. It talks about the difference in the level of commitment that two people have to each other. To one person, it's not very serious. To the second person - the narrator of the song - the amount of commitment that she shows towards her partner and their relationship is magnanimous. 

Going back to the first lyric now, one aspect of the lyric is that honesty - or the truth - does hurt sometimes. Her partner - or rather her ex - says some things to her that are really cruel. But, in the end, he was being honest with her. Yes, you should be honest, but can't you make an effort to be kind - or even decent towards the other person. The other aspect is about just how much you can break a person - or how many times you can do so. One simple phone call had the power to break the narrator. That shows how much she has been broken in the past. 

As I have said many times before... heartbreak is inevitable. Relationships do fall apart. But that doesn't give us the right to break another person. Every human being deserves basic respect and some amount of humane kindness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."