What did Ethnic Walk Give Me?

A couple of days ago, I was addressing my juniors about 'ethnic walk' which is pretty much like a fashion show. When I was talking to them, I was thinking about what it gave me. I thought about what I gained from the experience. 

First of all, it gave me confidence. For years, people had teased me about the way I walked. People always said my walk was weird in a way. Here, I saw that the way I walked could be used for something. I learned that it wasn't something to be shy about. It also gave me an opportunity to try something new. No one judged me when I made mistakes. People were patient as I learned. They took the time and effort to help me out. 

Second, it gave me a group of people who I could count on. A group of people who made me feel safe. It's rare to find one person with whom you feel safe, but a whole group of people... that really is something. When I say safe, I don't mean physically - thought that definitely is important as well. I mean emotionally safe. I knew I could be myself there and that they wouldn't hold it against me. I didn't have to suppress my emotions. 

Third, it was kind of like my initiation into the department. I got to meet a lot of the seniors there. And being with them, hanging out with them, made me feel like I had a place in that ginormous college. It gave me a sense of belonging. As a fresher, that was something that meant a lot to me.

Fourth, it gave me my best friend and brother figure. Because of this, I'd say that joining the team was the best thing I did. Today, you can call someone your best friend and not be sure whether or not they feel the same way about you. But, I can say that we both found one of our best friends in each other with confidence. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."