Cruisin'

There I was, minding my own business in the backseat of my car on the way to my grandparent's house. "Do you want to drive?" came my dad's voice. For a second, I wasn't sure if I heard him correctly. Yes, I do have my license, but I haven't really had the chance to take the car out for a spin. 

"What?" I asked incredulously. He repeated his question as my mom looked at him in disbelief. She couldn't believe that he was really letting me drive. This was the Trichy to Madurai highway. It was the middle of the day. 

I obviously seized the opportunity and nodded vigorously. My dad pulled over so I could get behind the wheel. I climbed in and adjusted the seat so I could see. I released the handbrake and moved the car into 'drive.' I was carefully holding onto the brake - a bit nervous. (What do you expect. I hadn't driven before.) 

My dad told me to slowly let go of the brake and I did. I swerved onto the left lane and he told me to step on the gas. A little while later, I doubted whether the speedometer was working correctly or not. It read that I was driving at a speed of above 70 kilometres per hour. It certainly didn't feel that way to me. I was shocked to see that I still had control over the car at that speed. 

I drove to my grandparents' house without much hassle. The only mistakes my dad noticed was that I was a bit jerky on the turns and that I didn't know how to use the mirrors yet. (That was expected to be honest.)

Looking back on it, I remember how tense I was. I realized how tightly I was holding onto the steering wheel. I was - and still am - a little scared. I trust that that will go away in its own time, as I get more practice. 

Comments

  1. Sounds fun but make sure you are mindful of switching lanes at high speeds. The steering is a bit more sensitive when you are going fast and can become really hazardous if you don't know how to control it at top speeds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Just Say "I Loved You The Way That You Were."