What Readers Expect in a Fiction Book


The first thing that readers expect in a fiction book is something completely unexpected. That’s right, people expect the unexpected. They are looking for surprises and twists. People want suspense. They want to be kept on the edge of their proverbial seats, wondering what’s going to happen next.

Readers also want a character that they can connect with. The main character shouldn’t be a perfect person. He or she has to have some kind of fatal flaw upon which the fate of the world rests. This raises the stakes and gets the reader more involved in the story.

Another significant expectation of readers is an escape. People read to escape their reality. A fiction or fantasy novel should be able to achieve that. A writer should be able to transport the reader to a new world where they can forget themselves and let themselves be immersed in the story.

Certain readers also want some intellectual challenges. This is also a way of escaping reality. They think that the problems or challenges in the story are easier to solve than those in real life.

One thing that I expect from a book is some kind of knowledge. When I read, I want to learn something new. Books are a great source of general knowledge. For example, when I’m reading Rick Riordan, I want to learn something new about mythology.

The first thing I look for before choosing a book is the genre. Writers have to be clear on their genre and theme. The first few sentences are what really attract the audience, like flies to honey.

These are just what I expect from a good fiction book (or my idea of a good fiction book). Different people expect different things.  


Comments

  1. I really look up to people who have reading as their passion. I can barely read two lines until my attention span starts to spiral down and I start zoning out. Maybe I should get my ADHD certified.🤔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Why does a girl need a brother, or at least a brother figure in her life?