How to Read Effectively


I am an avid reader, as I've mentioned before. I've noticed how a lot of people have trouble reading – even books mentioned in the syllabus. In my opinion, reading is not a passive activity and it requires energy and attention.

I think the reason that people aren’t able to concentrate on reading is that they aren’t interested. I believe that you can’t read something that you don’t like. The theme of the book is also important. Certain things appeal to certain people. For example, I can read anything with a supernatural theme.

The books in the syllabus however aren’t really appealing to modern readers (in my opinion). You need a lot of persistence to sit through a book like Jane Eyre. (It’s worth it, but the storyline is slow. Yeah, I know it’s a classic.)

One of my tips for reading effectively is to start reading with a positive attitude. You have to believe that you will like the book before you even open it. You also have to be determined to finish reading it. Set a target for the number of pages that you want to finish in a day – make sure it is reasonable. Set aside some time every day to read.

As I mentioned earlier, reading isn’t a passive activity. You have to be involved in the book. Put yourself in the shoes of the main character. Imagine that you are in the story and try to look for tools like foreshadowing. Try to predict what the characters are going to do next. Focus on the development the characters go through. Be sure to know the stakes the characters have in the plot and their relationships with each other.

Reading isn’t hard, you just need the right frame of mind!


Comments

  1. This does indeed motivate me to read the books I've been wanting to for a long time. 🤔 Well, time to open my e-library and start reading!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors

Why does a girl need a brother, or at least a brother figure in her life?