Why does a girl need a brother, or at least a brother figure in her life?

 


I grew up without an attentive brother figure (or rather, they didn’t really know I was around), but I have always longed for a big brother. I’ve always been on the lookout for people I could consider a big brother but was unsuccessful until recently.  I always idolized my big brothers, even though they never really acknowledged my existence. A lot of my habits and preferences are based on theirs.

First and foremost, a big brother is someone whose example you can follow. You can learn a lot from them. They teach you how to look at things and provide a unique perspective. They know you inside out and know how to reassure you appropriately. He shows you that he is your number one supporter and biggest fan. They are a reliable source of information. 

A big brother shows you what unconditional love is. Yes, it's his job to chastise you, but beyond that, you can believe that it's because he loves you so much that he is strict sometimes. You know that he's not going to disown you or love you any less just because you messed up. He's going to help you out of your mess and teach you to do better next time. 

On a less serious note, a brother is your ticket into the world of sports. He's also the one who's going to let you crash his car or bike when you're learning how to drive. He's going to put his own life on the line while teaching you how to drive. He toughens you up every time you listen to him teasing you. He teaches you about other men, how they think, and how to carry yourself around them. On the whole, you really can't live without your big brother. 

I always felt like I didn't have anyone to look out for me, anyone to tell me what's right and what's not, or anyone who loved me unconditionally. I had nowhere to turn when I felt alone in the world. There were times when all I wanted was for one of my brothers to talk to me or even just be around (which didn't happen). 

I now have the privilege of having the perfect brother figure. I feel comfortable taking the time and space to figure myself out, knowing that he has my back. The trust I place in him is astronomical and unequivocal. He goes out of his way to make sure I know that he loves me. He reminds me that I’m not really alone in the world anymore. He’s always the first person I want to talk to about my achievements and his approval means the world to me. He's my greatest supporter and my backbone. 

He is undoubtedly one of the best people I've had the privilege of meeting and I’m extremely grateful for him. 

Remember to tell your brother that you love and cherish him. 

Ohh, PS - Love you, my bro. 

Comments

  1. Love you too sis! Remember to never stop spreading your love across the world because the world needs kind people like you. I'll never stop being by your side. Again; my sis and me against the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that you are a Woman

A Tribute to My Seniors